In 2020, the LIFE METHAMORPHOSIS project ended, which sought an alternative to wastewater treatment with lower energy consumption, where there would also be a recovery of biomethane that could be used as vehicle fuel. Good results and new research challenges were obtained.
At the end of 2020, LIFE INFUSION began, a new project that aims to expand the knowledge acquired in LIFE METHAMORPHOSIS, optimizing the biogas production process by working in thermophilic ranges and looking towards a circular economy where rejects are minimized and resources obtained by recovering waste producing ammonium salts useful for agriculture and reusable water in irrigation and aquaculture.
In order to carry out the LIFE INFUSION, the LIFE METHAMORPHOSIS pilot has been used, adapting the equipment to the new working conditions:
- Pipelines: The PVC pipes have been replaced by AISI 304L stainless steel pipes that withstand high temperatures, optimal for thermophilic processes. Useful UPE pipes have also been incorporated to transport corrosive effluents (for example strong acids), such as ammonium salts that can reach a pH of 2.
- Ultrafiltration: The electrovalves and pressure sensors of the process have been replaced and all the ultrafiltration membranes have been changed for others that are prepared to work at 50-55 ºC.
- Equipment replacement: A larger compressor that facilitates the automation of the prototype and new safety valves in the reactor has been installed. The use of the helical pumps has been optimized.
- Agitation system: To avoid possible blockages and optimize agitation inside the reactor, the biogas agitation system has been replaced by a propeller agitator that will allow a more homogeneous mixture to be obtained.
- New instruments: The measurement instruments have been changed for more precise ones, and new ones have been incorporated that allow a greater control of the process (pH meters, level sensors, pressure sensors, etc.).
- Disassembly: Equipment not included in the new project has been dismantled to make room for the new processes to be studied.
The LIFE INFUSION project is co-funded by the LIFE Programme of the European Union under contract number LIFE19 ENV/ES/000283.
The information published in this web page reflects only the LIFE INFUSION project beneficiaries’ views and work. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.